Charles F. Haanel
INTRODUCTION – PART SIX
It is my privilege to enclose Part Six. This part will give you an excellent
understanding of the most wonderful piece of mechanism which has ever been created. A
mechanism whereby you may create for yourself Health, Strength, Success, Prosperity or
any other condition which you desire. Necessities are demands, and demands create
action, and actions bring about results. The process of evolution is constantly building
our tomorrows out of our todays. Individual development, like Universal development,
must be gradual with an ever increasing capacity and volume.
The knowledge that if we infringe upon the rights of others, we become moral thorns
and find ourselves entangled at every turn of the road, should be an indication that
success is contingent upon the highest moral ideal, which is “The greatest good to the
Aspiration, desire and harmonious relations constantly and persistently maintained
will accomplish results. The greatest hindrance is erroneous and fixed ideas.
To be in tune with eternal truth we must possess poise and harmony within. In order
to receive intelligence the receiver must be in tune with the transmitter.
Thought is a product of Mind and Mind is creative, but this does not mean that the
Universal will change its modus operandi to suit us or our ideas, but it does mean that we
can come into harmonious relationship with the Universal, and when we have
accomplished this we may ask anything to which we are entitled, and the way will be
- The Universal Mind is so wonderful that it is difficult to understand its utilitarian
powers and possibilities and its unlimited producing effects.
- We have found that this Mind is not only all intelligence but all substance. How,
then, is it to be differentiated in form? How are we to secure the effect which we
- Ask any electrician what the effect of electricity will be and he will reply that
“Electricity is a form of motion and its effect will depend upon the mechanism to
which it is attached.” Upon this mechanism will depend whether we shall have
heat, light, power, music or any of the other marvelous demonstration of power to
whichthis vital energy has been harnessed.
- What effect can be produced by thought? The reply is that thought is mind in
motion (just as wind is air in motion), and its effect will depend entirely on the
“mechanism to which it is attached.”
- Here, then, is the secret of all mental power; it depends entirely on the mechanism
which we attach.
- What is this mechanism? You know something of the mechanism which has been
invented by Edison, Bell, Marconi and other electrical wizards, by which place
and space and time have become only figures of speech, but did you ever stop to
think that the mechanism which has been given you for transforming the
Universal, Omnipresent Potential Power was invented by a greater inventor than
- We are accustomed to examining the mechanism of the implements which we use
for tilling the soil, and we try to get an understanding of the mechanism of the
automobile which we drive, but most of us are content to remain in absolute
ignorance of the greatest piece of mechanism which as ever come into existence,
the brain of man.
- Let us examine the wonders of this mechanism; perhaps we shall thereby get a
better understanding of the various effects of which it is the cause.
- In the first place, there is the great mental world in which we live and move and
have our being; this world is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent; it will
respond to our desire in direct ratio to our purpose and faith; the purpose must be
in accordance with the law of our being, that is, it must be creative or
constructive; our faith must be strong enough to generate a current of sufficient
strength to bring our purpose into manifestation. “As thy faith is, so be it unto
thee,” bears the stamp of scientific test.
- The effects which are produced in the world without are the result of the action
and reaction of the individual upon the universal; that is the process which we call
thinking; the brain is the organ through which this process is accomplished; think
of the wonder of it all! Do you love music, flowers, literature, or are you inspired
by the thought of ancient or modern genius? Remember, every beauty to which
you respond must have its corresponding outline in your brain before you can
- There is not a single virtue or principle in the storehouse of nature which the brain
cannot express. The brain is an embryonic world, ready to develop at any time as
necessity may arise. If you can comprehend that this is a scientific truth and one
of the wonderful laws of nature, it will be easier for you to get an understanding
of the mechanism by which these extraordinary results are being accomplished.
- The nervous system has been compared to an electric circuit with its battery of
cells in which force is originated, and its white matter to insulated wires by which
the current is conveyed; it is through these channels that every impulse or desire is
carried through the mechanism.
- The spinal cord is the great motor and sensory pathway by which messages are
conveyed to and from the brain; then, there is the blood supply plunging through
the veins and arteries, renewing our energy and strength, the perfectly arranged
structure upon which the entire physical body rests, and, finally, the delicate and
beautiful skin, clothing the entire mechanism is a mantle of beauty.
- This then is the “Temple of the living God” and the individual “I” is given control
and upon his understanding of the mechanism which is within his control will the
- Every thought sets the brain cells in action; at first the substance upon which the
thought is directed fails to respond, but if the thought is sufficiently refined and
concentrated, the substance finally yields and expresses perfectly.
- This influence of the mind can be exerted upon any part of the body, causing the
elimination of any undesirable effect.
- A perfect conception and understanding of the laws governing in the mental world
cannot fail to be of inestimable value in the transaction of business, as it develops
the power of discernment and gives a clearer understanding and appreciation of
- The man who looks within instead of without cannot fail to make use of the
mighty forces which will eventually determine his course in life and so bring him
into vibration with all that is best, strongest and most desirable.
- Attention or concentration is probably; the most important essential in the
development of mind culture. The possibilities of attention when properly
directed are so startling that they would hardly appear credible to the uninitiated.
The cultivation of attention is the distinguishing characteristic of every successful
man or woman, and is the very highest personal accomplishment which can be
- The power of attention can be more readily understood by comparing it with a
magnifying glass in which the rays of sunlight are focused; they possess no
particular strength as long as the glass is moved about and the rays directed from
one place to another; but let the glass be held perfectly still and let the rays be
focused on one spot for any length of time, the effect will become immediately
- So with the power of thought; let power be dissipated by scattering the thought
from one object to another, and no result is apparent; but focus this power through
attention or concentration on any single purpose for any length of time and
nothing becomes impossible.
- A very simple remedy for a very complex situation, some will say. All right, try
it, you who have had no experience in concentrating the thought on a definite
purpose or object. Choose any single object and concentrate your attention on it
for a definite purpose for even ten minutes; you cannot do it; the mind will
wander a dozen times and it will be necessary to bring it back to the original
purpose, and each time the effect will have been lost and at the end of the ten
minutes nothing will have been gained, because you have not been able to hold
your thought steadily to the purpose.
- It is, however, through attention that you will finally be able to overcome
obstacles of any kind that appear in your path onward and upward, and the only
way to acquire this wonderful power is by practice — practice makes perfect, in
this as in anything else.
- In order to cultivate the power of attention, bring a photograph with you to the
same seat in the same room in the same position as heretofore. Examine it closely
at least ten minutes, note the expression of the eyes, the form of the features, the
clothing, the way the hair is arranged; in fact, note every detail shown on the
photograph carefully. Now cover it and close your eyes and try to see it mentally;
if you can see every detail perfectly and can form a good mental image of the
photograph, you are to be congratulated; if not, repeat the process until you can.
- This step is simply for the purpose of preparing the soil; next week we shall be
ready to sow the seed.
- It is by such exercises as these that you will finally be able to control your mental
moods, your attitude, your consciousness.
- Great financiers are learning to withdraw from the multitude more and more, that
they may have more time for planning, thinking and generating the right mental
- Successful businessmen are constantly demonstrating the fact that it pays to keep
in touch with the thought of other successful business men.
- A single idea may be worth millions of dollars, and these ideas can only come to
those who are receptive, who are prepared to receive them, who are in successful
frame of mind.
- Men are learning to place themselves in harmony with the Universal Mind; they
are learning the unity of all things; they are learning the basic methods and
principles of thinking, and this is changing conditions and multiplying results.
- They are finding that circumstances and environment follow the trend of mental
and spiritual progress; they find that growth follows knowledge; action follows
inspiration; opportunity follows perception; always the spiritual first, then the
transformation into the infinite and illimitable possibilities of achievement.
- As the individual is but the channel for the differentiation of the Universal, these
possibilities are necessarily inexhaustible.
- Thought is the process by which we may absorb the Spirit of Power, and hold the
result in our inner consciousness until it becomes a part of our ordinary
consciousness. The method of accomplishing this result by the persistent practice
of a few fundamental principles, as explained in this System, is the master-key
which unlocks the storehouse of Universal Truth.
- The two great sources of human suffering at present are bodily disease and mental
anxiety. These may be readily traced to the infringement of some Natural Law.
This is, no doubt, owing to the fact that so far knowledge has largely remained
partial, but the clouds of darkness which have accumulated through long ages are
beginning to roll away and with them many of the miseries that attend imperfect
“That a man can change himself, improve himself, re-create himself, control his
environment, and master his own destiny is the conclusion of every mind who is wide-
awake to the power of right thought in constructive action.” – Larson